Monday, October 23, 2017
The above example is an extreme example of one of Nancy Sharon Collins’s personal ciphers. More commonly, monograms are called ciphers.
A true monogram is a design made up of letters in which no one letter can be removed without the entire design falling apart.
Sunday, October 2, 2016
In this third of the 10 part mini-video series Nancy Sharon Collins, stationer extraordinaire, offers an example of why her clients are loyal.
In 2001 she was featured on the Martha Stewart Living show that landed one of her earliest and most faithful clients.
This series was directed by Lizzy Marietta, videographer by Danilo Skeen, and the music compose by Peter J. Bowling.
Wednesday, September 14, 2016
Nancy Says", Nancy Sharon Collins says that she thinks custom monograms are important and that they hold a direct relationship to graphic design
Monogram and Letter Writing classes given by Nancy Sharon Collins:
- 10/1/16 Monogram Class, 10am-noon, New Orleans
- 11/3/16 Letter Writing Class, 6-8pm, Charleston, SC
- 11/12/16 Letter Writing Class, 10am-noon, New Orleans.
Monday, June 20, 2016
Departures features hand engraved monograms, here’s a quote...
‘In order to create her breathtaking bespoke ciphers—a combination of letters woven into a personal mark—Nancy Sharon Collins begins with a consultation, either in her by-appointment New Orleans studio or remotely. “It’s something between going to a shrink and to an architect,” she says. Ultimately, the process yields a custom emblem designed to last a lifetime.’
Monday, June 13, 2016
Hand engraved stationery presents unique printing issues when working with color papers and inks. This is why Nancy Sharon Collins recently authored three articles published in PRINT magazine about dealing with color reproduction. The series presents a brief punch list of best practices, for clients, printers and designers, when dealing with color on press. It also discusses differences, and challenges, of evaluating color on the screens of our devices versus literally going on press with the printer to watch what happens with ink paper in real time.
|Example of hand engraved social stationery photographed and used in advertisements and on the internet. © 2016 Nancy Sharon Collins, Stationer.|
- The first article introduces the notion of color matching systems for print, specifically for one-color jobs in low-tech processes such as stationery engraving. This article goes into the history of color matching systems, too.
- The second article talks about color responsibility and explains some of the best practices summed up in the final article...
- The final article elaborates best practices and lists them. These include discussing your print job with (depending upon who you are) the printer, designer, and or client. Sharing expectations with each other, sharing printing specifications, and going on press.
Sunday, May 22, 2016
|Hand engraved “Thank You” cards by Nancy Sharon Collins, Stationer.|
Looking back through the online archives of magazine and pop culture coverage, Nancy Sharon Collins, Stationer maintains an even presence in the venerable world of hand engraved stationery.
This fantastic article by Lynn Yeager in Travel & Leisure, and other archived articles demonstrate.
Mrs. Collins continues to be the subject of popular culture as this list of magazine articles attest:
- April 2016 Town & Country
- Winter 2016 Martha Stewart Wedding
- January 2016/December 2015 Garden & Gun
- October 2015 Veranda